MarsVenus Logo
Aktuelle Zeit: 21.05.2018, 09:15

Alle Zeiten sind UTC+02:00

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: g the league leaders with a .325 a
BeitragVerfasst: 22.01.2018, 06:58 
Rekordschreiber

WASHINGTON -- Mets pitcher Zack Wheeler was working in and out of trouble in the early going against the Washington Nationals, walking four batters and allowing a run on a wild pitch. So he asked catcher Travis dArnaud and pitching coach Dan Warthen a simple question: "Do you all see anything?" Warthen went into the clubhouse to check some video from Tuesday nights game and noticed Wheeler was "collapsing" instead of "throwing downhill," as the right-hander put it. Thanks to that mid-game adjustment to his delivery -- and Washingtons own miscues, including one runner hit by a batted ball and another thrown out at the plate -- Wheeler pitched 6 2-3 innings to win his fourth consecutive decision, helping the Mets beat the NL East-leading Nationals 6-1. "I didnt have my best stuff. And it wasnt very fun. But youve got to find a way through it," said Wheeler (7-8), who contributed a broken-bat RBI single at the plate. "Youre mad at yourself, and youre trying to figure out what it is. I wouldnt say its mentally draining, but its just frustrating." Relying on a fastball consistently in the high 90s mph because his curveball wasnt working, Wheeler was good enough on a muggy night when the temperature was 85 degrees at first pitch. The righty went 3-8 with a 4.45 ERA in his first 16 starts, but is 4-0 with a 1.59 ERA in seven appearances since June 30. "This kid has really, really gotten better," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "I mean, as he continues to improve, the skys the limit." Said Washingtons Jayson Werth: "That was the best Ive seen him. I dont know how many times Ive seen him, but his velocity was a lot higher than I remember." Werth led off the sixth with a double. When Adam LaRoche followed with a single to left, third base coach Bob Henley sent Werth home. Left fielder Eric Campbell threw out Werth with a one-hop toss; the call stood after a replay review to check whether dArnaud blocked the plate. "It changed the whole game right there," said Daniel Murphy, who pushed New Yorks lead to 4-1 with a two-run single in the seventh off Drew Storen. Nationals lefty Gio Gonzalez (6-8) was charged with four runs and six hits over six-plus innings. He put two runners on to begin the seventh, then shook his head as he walked off the mound when manager Matt Williams yanked him with Wheeler coming to the plate. Asked if he was upset that he was removed there, Gonzalez replied: "I wanted to face the pitcher, yes." TRAINERS ROOM: Mets: Closer Jenrry Mejia "tweaked his back" in Mondays loss against San Francisco, Collins said, calling the relievers status day to day. Right-hander Matt Harvey, recovering from reconstructive elbow surgery, threw off a mound for the first time since the operation, and Collins said the pitcher felt fine after Tuesdays session in Florida. Nationals: Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman, on the DL since injuring his right hamstring July 22, has a grade-three strain and could miss six weeks, general manager Mike Rizzo said. Williams thinks Zimmerman -- who began walking on a water treadmill Monday -- could return during the regular season. UP NEXT: Mets: Wednesdays starter, left-hander Jonathan Niese (5-7, 3.24 ERA), lasted only four innings in his last appearance at Nationals Park, allowing five runs in a 5-2 Mets loss May 16. Nationals: The Nationals start righty Doug Fister (10-3, 2.68 ERA). Might second baseman Danny Espinosa get back into the lineup after giving way to trade deadline pickup Cabrera? Espinosa is 5 for 12 (a .417 average) against Niese. WHAT A CATCH: Mets centre fielder Juan Lagares ended the seventh with a head-first diving catch of a sinking liner by Denard Span. Lagares got the wind knocked out of him on the play and was checked on in the outfield by Collins and a trainer but stayed in the game. Douglas Costa Jersey . You can listen to the game live on TSN Radio 690 in Montreal or on TSN.ca/Montreal. Also, TSN.ca features live streaming of the post-game news conferences from the Bell Centre. The Rangers grabbed a 3-1 lead in the Eastern Conference Final after Sundays 3-2 overtime victory against the visiting Habs. Rafinha Jersey .com) - Maria Sharapova rallied for a three- set win over Ana Ivanovic on Saturday to capture the season-opening Brisbane International tennis tournament. http://www.officialbrazilonline.com/wor ... ll-jersey/. But unfortunately for the Niagara Falls, Ont., native, a pulled muscle wouldnt allow him to go past the second set. Japan sealed its victory over Canada in the first-round Davis Cup tie after Nishikori downed an ailing Dancevic 6-2, 1-0. Ricardo Oliveira Jersey . PETERSBURG, Fla. Brazil Soccer Jerseys .B. -- Canadas Rachel Homan opened the Ford Womens World Curling Championship with a 7-5 win over Russia on Saturday.ST. LOUIS - The St. Louis Cardinals recalled prize prospect Oscar Taveras from Triple-A Memphis and plugged him right into the lineup to make his major league debut against the Giants. "You know what Im supposed to do is downplay it, right?" manager Mike Matheny said before Saturdays game. "Id be lying to you to say I wasnt excited for him." The 21-year-old Taveras didnt downplay it, either. This is his first look at Busch Stadium. "Oh, man," he said before the game, "Im so happy. I know when I hit for the first time, with the fans, itll be awesome for me." Taveras batted sixth and played right field. He got a standing ovation before flying out to left to end the second. "Weve got enough very, very good players that were not going to rely on him to shoulder this," Matheny said. "I do believe he can be an addition to something good. "Weve got an opportunity for a couple weeks to see what this kid can do." Matheny said Taveras was welcomed just like any other rookie, joking that balloons were not involved. "This is a big day, regardless of all the hype, for any oof our guys.dddddddddddd Its a huge accomplishment," Matheny said. "To be on this roster for one day, whether player or not is a big, big deal." First baseman Matt Adams was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with a left calf strain thats dogged him for several days. The move is retroactive to Friday. Cardinals trainers dont believe Adams will be available until early next week. Hes among the league leaders with a .325 average with three homers and 17 RBIs. "The tightness is just not coming along as fast as we wanted," Adams said. "I want be out there doing everything I can to help the team compete. Its very disappointing." Taveras was batting a team-leading .325 at Memphis with seven home runs and 40 RBIs in 49 games. The 21-year-old, left-handed hitter was starting in right field and batting sixth. Taveras had been on track to make his debut last year before season-ending ankle surgery. The Cardinals signed Taveras as an international free agent in 2008. He has a .321 average with 52 homers and 315 RBIs in 423 career minor league games. He won batting titles in 2011 and 2012. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

Alle Zeiten sind UTC+02:00