MarsVenus Logo
Aktuelle Zeit: 17.01.2018, 05:47

Alle Zeiten sind UTC+01:00

Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: 13.01.2018, 09:00 
Mittagspausentipper

LONDON -- For 2 1/2 hours, Venus Williams traded big serves and hard groundstrokes with Petra Kvitova on Centre Court. Williams was playing with some of the power and pace that had brought her five Wimbledon titles. But when it was over, she was left with a sense of disappointment. "The battle is always a little more enjoyable when you win," Williams said Friday after coming within two points of victory but losing 5-7, 7-6 (2), 7-5 to Kvitova, the 2011 champion. All four of their previous meetings went to three sets and this one was no different, with plenty of suspense, intensity, and only a few break points. Williams looked stronger early in the match and was up 5-4, 15-30 on Kvitovas serve, in the second set. But the Czech came up with some big serves, held and won the second set tiebreaker. The players then held serve for the first 11 games of the third set before Kvitova broke No. 30 Williams for the first time in the last game. "Its a shame there had to be a loser in this match and more of a shame that it had to be me," Williams said. Despite the loss, Williams had reasons to feel positive about her week in London. At the age of 34, she has been playing well this season, winning a title in Dubai and reaching the final in Auckland and Miami. This week, she got to the third round at a Grand Slam tournament for only the second time in her past 10 appearances. After her battle with Kvitova, she reiterated that retirement is not in her plans. More than that, Williams still believes in her ability to add to her total of seven Grand Slams. "People have been trying to retire me since I was like 25. For some reason in tennis we always do that to our players. Its weird," said Williams, who disclosed three years ago that she was diagnosed with an energy-sapping autoimmune disease. "We dont encourage them to stick around," she added. "Its like, Get out of here. So Im not getting out of here. I think this year has been a great year for me. Ive had some tough losses, but Ive learned a lot from them. Im finding my way back on my feet. Im proud of myself for what Im achieving on the court." The former No. 1 is next scheduled to play in Cincinnati and Montreal. She said she might add more tournaments to her summer schedule to keep improving her game. "So that way Ill just have a chance, when its really time to play good tennis, I would have had those matches under my belt," she said. Cory James Jersey . Adam LaRoche will take that. "I like our position in the standings and I like how our team is playing," LaRoche said after Washington swept a day-night doubleheader from the Cubs on Saturday. Dave Casper Jersey . General manager David Poile called signing Ribeiro a great opportunity to add a talented, experienced and creative centre Tuesday when he introduced the veteran at a news conference. Ribeiros contract is worth $1.05 million after being bought out of the final three years of a $22 million contract by the Coyotes recently. http://www.shoptheraidersonline.com/Eli ... ey/.Brooks, a three-year veteran, was slow to get up after suffering the injury during a 5-yard run by Arian Foster.Brooks limped off the field midway through the quarter and then slowly walked to the locker room a few minutes later. John Matuszak Jersey . The Swiss won on the fastest run-time tiebreaker after the four-racer teams tied 2-2. Wendy Holdener and Reto Schmidiger won their final heats against Julia Mancuso and Tim Jitloff, respectively. George Blanda Jersey . Last years runner-up, Sara Errani, also reached the last eight in straight sets. Flipkens converted all four of her break points against Meusburger, and the third-seeded Errani broke Karin Knapps serve five times to win their all-Italian match 6-4, 6-3.PHILADELPHIA -- Seven former professional football players have filed a court challenge to a tentative class action settlement of concussion claims that would cost the NFL at least $765 million. They argued that some players wont be fairly compensated under the plan, especially those whose awards would be reduced or negated because of prior strokes or other factors. Their appeal echoes their previous complaints about the plan, which would cover nearly 20,000 retired players for 65 years. Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody has granted preliminary approval of the settlement pending a fairness hearing in November, when other critics can challenge it and perhaps decide to opt out and reserve the right to sue individually. Her approval came after the NFL agreed to remove the $765 million cap to ensure the fund doesnt run out. The group appealing the judges decision includes 2008 Pro Bowl player Sean Morey, now Princeton Universitys sprint football coach. The groups lawyers appealed the decision by Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody on Monday. "t;Conflicts within the class leave many class members without adequate representation," lawyer Steven F.ddddddddddddMolo wrote in the appeal. "This class, as certified, is doomed." He noted that families of players diagnosed posthumously with the debilitating brain disorder chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, in the future would not receive the $4 million given to families that received the diagnosis before preliminary approval of the plan this month. Instead, the players would be treated and compensated for the various symptoms they exhibit during their lives. Plaintiffs lawyers who negotiated the settlement with NFL lawyers for more than a year called the appeal premature since the agreement has not been finalized. "This petition is entirely without merit, and only serves to confuse and obscure the tremendous benefits retired players will receive if this settlement is approved by the Court," lawyer Christopher Seeger said in a statement Tuesday. The appeal was filed in the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

Alle Zeiten sind UTC+01:00